Sunday, July 25, 2010

Brain Stew: SDCC Aftermath

So the San Diego ComicCon was this weekend and there were plenty of huge announcements that are going to shake some things up and may or may not make some people happy. Here are three big ones that caught my eye:

Batman Inc.: Definitely the biggest announcement and the one I had been waiting for was the reveal of this title, the next chapter in Grant Morrison's Batman epic. From what Grant and Dan Didio have said, the key idea of this book is about "franchising Batman" and will feature multiple Dark Knights. Admittedly, I can't help but feel pleased as back in April I mentioned this:

"Another outcome is to revisit something Tony Daniel touched on during his Battle for the Cowl mini: Multiple Batmen. The potential for artistic confusion seems infinite, but Bruce and Dick in differing costumes, prowling the city, if executed well could be a lot of fun."

Grant also mentioned that this will primarily be a Bat-Family team-up book like The Brave and the Bold which will no doubt be a ton of fun. Definitely one of the best things to come out of the con.

Amazing Spider-Man goes from a Brand New Day to the Big Time: Awhile back, Bleeding Cool News posted a story that the BND era of Amazing Spider-Man was coming to a close and this weekend Marvel confirmed it. After two years of thrice-a-month shipping with a brilliant rotating team of talent, ASM will switch to a bi-weekly schedule, written by Dan Slott with art by Marcos Martin, Paulo Siqueira and Humberto Ramos. Some of the teased bits included Spidey in a Fantastic Four outfit, plenty of costumes, the return of impact webbing and Mac Gargan's devolution into the Scorpion.

My first thought on this was to abandon ship but I think I may give it a shot. Dan Slott isn't Zeb Wells, Joe Kelly, FvL or Waid, but he has still done some fun things with the book and admittedly New Ways to Die is what got me buying ASM again. It looks like his primary goal is to make the book fun and take it somewhere fresh, especially with all the people asking why Peter is broke if he is on the Avengers and stuff. I'm down for a Peter that is more Batman than Booster Gold and the artistic talent is still top notch.

Power Man and Iron Fist On-going: I may have lied when I said that Batman Inc. was the biggest announcement, as I definitely went nuts when I read this. An Iron Fist title has been absent for over a year now since Duane Swierczynski's run ended and while I knew there was going to be a Power Man and Iron Fist mini tying into Shadowlands, the news that it would be a pre-cursor to a new on-going is fabulous news. What's even better is that it is going to be written by Fred Van Lente who is one of my favorite writers in the industry right now. I have no clue what direction this is going to take or even how much I'm going to like the new Power Man but I'm still very, very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment